Memosaic

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Reviving the Hollywood Musical

Good news for fans of Hollywood musicals! The October 6th issue of “Variety” reports that Walt Disney Studios plans to craft musicals “that will utilize the singing and dancing skills Hugh Jackman displayed in his Tony-winning turn in ‘The Boy from Oz.’” The goal of these films is to help reinvent the movie musical.

First up will be an adaptation of Cecilia Ahern’s novel, “If You Could See Me Now.” Jackman’s role would be that of a lonely 6-year-old boy’s imaginary friend who suddenly becomes visible to the child’s aunt – with romance ensuing.

Way to go, Disney! If anyone can reinvent the Hollywood musical, it’s the multi-talented Mr. Jackman.

2 Comments:

  • I love Hugh, but I'm not a fan of the movie musical. Although Ewan and Nicole were OUTSTANDING in Moulin Rouge, I still prefer my musicals on stage -- not the screen.

    Wait a minute, wait a minute ... I'm gonna contradict myself ... sidenote ... I am really excited about the new film version of RENT.

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, At 6:21 PM  

  • I agree about MOULIN ROUGE, Stolie. I have a huge poster of Ewan and Nicole in that great musical hanging on the wall of my office -- right next to Judy Garland and Gene Kelly in SUMMER STOCK.

    And, like you, I'm really psyched up about RENT coming on the big screen!

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home