Memosaic

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar Nominations

Although Brokeback Mountain leads the pack with eight Oscar nominations for 2005, I am delighted that my favorite movie of last year, Crash, ended up with six of its own and in such important categories as Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Screenplay, and Editing plus Original Song. Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix earning nods for their brilliant portrayals of June Carter Cash and Johnny Cash in Walk the Line also makes me very happy. But no Russell Crowe in the Best Actor category? Maybe Academy voters had a hard time forgetting about his real-life anger management problems and failed to judge his terrific Cinderella Man performance objectively. Also, Pride & Prejudice and Walk the Line being ignored for Best Picture consideration bothers me considerably I think both are much better films than four of the five nominated. Still, like most movie fans, I will be watching the ABC televised Academy Awards Ceremony on Sunday night, March 5, to see who takes home those coveted golden statuettes.
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home