Memosaic

Thursday, April 04, 2013

Roger Ebert Remembered


Like so many movie fans, I’m very sad about Roger Ebert’s passing. He was one of the finest film critics ever published -- and also a great guy! I love to read his movie reviews. They never seem formulaic, and he put so much of himself into everything he wrote. In fact, Roger and his work helped motivate me to become a film critic.

My husband and I had the good fortune to meet Roger several years ago at the Telluride Film Festival during the screening of The Mystic Masseur. This film focused on one man’s burning desire to become an author. "Put my picture on the cover," Ganesh, played brilliantly by Aasif Mandvi, insists to the publisher of his first book, a catechism about the Hindu religion. While discussing the movie with Roger after the screening, I mentioned to him that Larry and I identified with the main character because we just finished co-writing a romantic memoir. “Put your picture on the cover just like Ganesh did,” he advised us. (I believe Roger followed his own advice and made sure his photo was seen on many of the terrific books he wrote.)

Roger deserved the various honors he received, which include a Pulitzer Prize for film criticism and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

No doubt about it, Roger Ebert will be missed. My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I saw Roger in person at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. He was fascinating to listen too and I so admired him. His spirit will remain in the hearts of millions including myself forever!

    By Blogger Joy of The Judy Joy Jones Show, At 5:07 PM  

  • I watched Siskel & Ebert for many years and of course continued with Ebert, alone, after Gene Siskel passed. His were always the first reviews I sought before seeing a movie I wasn't sure about, and the first I sought after not wisely reading his first, though often, none was available.
    It doesn't even seem possible to imagine not having his reviews to see anymore, nor his warm spirit on this earth. Never one to whine over his lot in recent years, he set a wonderful example for all of us on how to be strong and a positive influence.
    I loved your blog and memories of Roger.
    He's right- put your name and/or picture out there always. No one else will.
    If I had more thumbs, he- and you would get them. Alas, I can only say, "Two enthusiastic thumbs up!"

    By Blogger Olivia Wilder, At 5:09 PM  

  • Roger was a great inspiration to me when I decided to start my blog, and he was always a great supporter of my work, as he was of countless others. He's still alive to me and always will be.

    By Blogger Marilyn, At 7:58 PM  

  • I love your blog and memories of Roger Ebert! His reviews were always thoughtful and sincere. I especially enjoyed when he teamed with Siskel. Your natural love of cinema and honesty must have resonated with him when you met. How wonderful. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    By Blogger Jane Bernard, At 7:39 AM  

  • Thanks so much, Joy, Olivia, Marilyn and Jane for your thoughtful comments about Roger Ebert. He was indeed "fascinating," "warm," "inspiring," "sincere." And his love of cinema definitely came through in his reviews -- even in his negative critiques.

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 9:41 AM  

  • Roger Ebert (and Gene Siskel) were the first film critics I ever knew about. They certainly set the bar high for fine film reviews and discriminating taste. They'll be missed but others will follow their lead. Now they're together again and no doubt having a ball!

    By Blogger *******, At 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home