Memosaic

Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar® Afterthoughts

Although bleary eyed after watching the entire 83rd Annual Academy Awards televised show last night, I can’t resist posting an early morning rant and rave about the proceedings. My hubby and I dressed for the occasion. I wore a robe by Chenille, but he refused to divulge his bizarre wardrobe designer. We have to admit Natalie Portman and Christian Bale put both of us to shame. Natalie with her gorgeous deep purple gown and matching string earrings; Christian with his elegant black tuxedo. We decided to bestow our “Cutest Award” to co-host James Franco, mostly because of his engaging smile, which he flashed as often as possible while bantering with his dazzling co-host Anne Hathaway, who’s best moment came with her one amusing song performance. Too bad Anne didn’t perform more musical numbers and that Hugh Jackman (be still my heart) refused to join her for a duet.

Speaking of music, my biggest complaint involves its de-emphasis at the Oscars. I agree with Randy Newman (composer of the Best Song winner, “We Belong Together” from Toy Story 3) when he asked how hard could it be to find a fifth song to nominate. Not hard at all in my book. “You Haven’t Heard the Last of Me” and “Bound to You” from Burlesque should have been nominated. The whole show would’ve benefitted by adding more singing and dancing -– and including fewer costume changes by Anne Hathaway, no matter how beautiful she looked in each one (except the funny brown duck outfit, of course).

Regarding the awards, there were no surprises. Although many fans expected
The Social Network to win Best Picture, The King’s Speech made an impressive stretch run during the past few weeks. Still, I can’t help being disappointed that my favorite 2010 film, The Fighter, didn’t end up winning that category. But I’m pleased about Christian Bale and Melissa Leo taking home the Best Supporting Actor statuettes for their brilliant work in that wonderful movie. Best Actress and Best Actor winners Natalie Portman (Black Swan) and Colin Firth (The King’s Speech) gave excellent acceptance speeches. It’s about time Firth was recognized for his acting talent, and Portman put her heart and soul into the difficult role she played.

While the 83rd Academy Awards may not have been the best Oscar show ever, it wasn’t the worst either. I found it more entertaining than last year, but I can’t help hoping Hugh Jackman will return soon as the singing/dancing/funny host his fans love so much.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • I think that last night's show could have used Ricky Gervais. Then I wouldn't have become so bored and distracted that I totally missed In Memoriam. So forgive me if I comment on why I haven't seen a particular actor lately. Or worse, cut me a little slack if I sadly refer to a departed one who is actually alive and kicking. I'm serious, that has happened.

    Back to the topic at hand...

    I agree with your take on The Fighter. Also, The King's Speech was a wonderful movie, but I don't think it was Oscar-worthy. Then again what is? I'll have to lower my expectations.

    Of course, I came to the party with a sour attitude since Paul Giamatti--who's performance in Barney's Version was spectacular-- wasn't even nominated.

    So if Ricky isn't available, how about Charlie Sheen?

    By Blogger Jacqueline Jung, At 2:20 PM  

  • As always your comments are insightful and entertaining, Betty Jo! I agree that more music and dance would have created a more engaging show. There seems to be a changing of the guard- a new generation of actors and creators setting the bar for quality and creativity their way. I find it exciting. However some things never change- music and dance are timeless.

    By Blogger Jane Bernard, At 2:58 PM  

  • Ricky Gervais and Charlie Sheen co-hosting the Oscars would certainly keep everyone awake, Jackie! :-)

    And I agree with you, Jane, that music and dance are timeless

    Thanks to you both for your welcome comments.

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home