Memosaic

Friday, July 13, 2018

Grandma Knows Best


Passage, a short film expertly directed by Linda Palmer, reached me on a deep emotional level. Maybe that’s because I have a soft spot for grandmothers. I was lucky enough to have two of them, and I miss them both every day. June -- a grandmother played by Ellen Gerstein -- is at the center of Passage. When Jessie (Julia Parker) -- her homeless unemployed daughter, young granddaughter Paris (Kruiz Mauga), and their elderly cat show up at the doorstep of her trailer home, she tries to help them with advice -- and dreamcatchers.

Unfortunately, June’s daughter is skeptical of any suggestions coming from someone as eccentric as her mom. However, by spending time at the trailer and talking with June, Jessica’s attitude slowly changes. Their conversations about age and priorities are fascinating!

Jessie, June and Paris evoke empathy throughout the film. We see the love they have for each other, and we want everything to work out for them. When an unexpected event forces Jessica and June to work together to help Paris accept it, the way they handle the situation looks absolutely beautiful on screen.

Describing how Passage came to be, director/co-writer Palmer (Our Father) says, “One of my friends, Julia Parker, and I were chatting about pet stories and I shared a personal story that she mentioned would make a great short film. I let her know if she played the mom and helped me produce, I would be interested, and voila...6 months later Passage was born!”
         
I think that helps to explain why this film comes across as so endearing. Plus, besides wonderful performances, Passage features a sensitive story, realistic dialogue, gorgeous cinematography, and music I want to hear over and over again.

It’s no wonder Passage is already receiving recognition on the 2018 film festival circuit!  For more information about this movie, go to the IMDb website and the film’s Facebook page.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home