Memosaic

Thursday, February 20, 2020

A Fun Interview

A new film version of Jane Austen’s Emma opens this week in L. A. and NYC. So I can’t help thinking about the fun interview I had with Douglas McGrath, who adapted and directed his Emma movie (starrimg Gwenyth Paltrow), back in 1996Drawn to comedy because of his own humorous outlook on life, McGrath explained he knew right away that Austen’s novel would make a wonderful movie.  

“I took my screenplay and recommended myself as the director,” he admitted.  He got the job, but only after explaining that he wanted to pace the movie like George Cukor’s bubbling comedies of the 1930s and 40s and to give it a visual impact similar to Vincente Minelli’s famous musicals (Gigi and Meet Me in St. Louis).

When I asked him why he added an archery contest between Emma and Mr. Knightley that wasn’t in the book, he laughed and said, “To tie into the summer Olympics. McDonald’s may soon offer little Emma puppets complete with their tiny bows and arrows!”

Like most humorists, McGrath “always leaves them laughing.” For my last question, I inquired what he wanted readers to know about him. “Where to send money!” he replied. 


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home