Memosaic

Monday, February 10, 2020

Oscar® Reflections


As poet laureate of the movies, I am pleased to write a poem about the 92nd Annual Academy Awards event which took place on February 9, 2020.

Congrats to wins on Oscar night.
Sometimes voters get Awards right.
Not always though. There was a year
when Garland’s snub caused me to jeer.

Another time Paul Newman missed,
and I remember how I hissed.
Enough bad thoughts. Let’s talk of now.
Who are the ones to take a bow?

Ironically, Zellweger’s win
makes me happy and want to grin.
It’s like redemption for Garland’s slight.
And almost feels like pure delight.

Phoenix’s award as Joker
no surprise to any gambler.   
Dern and Pitt, a pair of shoo-ins,
pleased most viewers with their two wins.   

Best Picture nod I won’t complain.
Read on, dear friends. I will explain.
Nominated films here were nine.
I think many of them are fine.

Parasite won Best Picture gold
and received cheers for being bold.
Gerwig’s film or Marriage Story
still to me deserved the glory.

Hitting me hard, sorry to say
Gerwig’s directing not in play.
Little Women, a masterpiece.
But men again owned that tight lease.

My wish for the next Oscar show:
A talented host in the know.
Bring Jackman back to entertain.
My interest then would never wane.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home