Memosaic

Friday, June 10, 2011

Thinking about Judy Garland

My pick for the most remarkable personality in the history of motion pictures is Judy Garland. She could do it all -- sing, dance, act in comedies or in dramas -- better than anyone else before or since. Each time I watch one of Garland's many films. I'm amazed at her raw talent.

Nobody haunts my movie memories quite like Judy singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" in The Wizard of Oz. No one makes me laugh more joyously than Judy dressed like a tramp and cavorting with fellow bum Fred Astaire to the tune of “We’re a Couple of Swells” in Easter Parade. And nothing gets my dander up more than remembering Judy’s loss of the Oscar she should have received for her heart-wrenching performance in A Song Is Born.

Today is Judy Garland's birthday, which explains why I'm thinking about her and all the pleasure she gave her many fans. Thanks to Turner Classic Movies for running some of Judy's wonderful movies today. I can hardly wait to see Summer Stock and The Pirate again!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

    By Blogger Claire, At 3:50 AM  

  • Thanks so much, Claire, for sharing a link to your excellent blog!

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home