Memosaic

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Drive-In Movie Lament

After reading in our local paper this week that the Mesa Drive-In Movie Theater, the last of its kind here in Pueblo, Colorado, may be closing soon, I felt twinges of nostalgia. Here’s what I wrote in “Confessions of a Movie Addict,” my life-at-the-movies memoir:

Love, marriage and children became the most important thing in my life during the fifties. Lucky for me my husband and children loved movies almost as much as I did. Captivated by Gene Kelly’s dynamic work in “Singin’ in the Rain,” Larry and I named our son John “Kelly” in his honor. Because of our admiration for Susan Hayward’s performance in “My Foolish Heart,” we christened our daughter “Susan” Claire. Convinced the drive-in theater represented one of the greatest inventions of the twentieth century, we prepared for an outdoor movie adventure at least once each week by packing up nursing bottles, diapers and enough snacks to last through a double feature at the Mesa or Lake Drive-In.

No doubt about it, the Mesa Drive-In would be missed.

3 Comments:

  • There is a drive-in thirty minutes away from where we live and weather permitting shows two films on the weekend. They have a nice little play area for the kids in front of the screen and a concession that serves homemade hamburgers and other treats. Everyone sits either in the back of their truck or in thier car, or on lawn chairs and it has a wonderful community feeling to it. Some of old style america is still around thank goodness.

    By Blogger Chris Mansel, At 6:52 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing this bit of Americana, Chris.

    I'll bet the kids in your area just love going to that drive-in movie!

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 6:34 AM  

  • Thanks for the sympathetic comments, big red machine.

    You're lucky to still have a drive-in theater in your area!

    By Blogger Betty Jo, At 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home